Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Coeur d'Alene

I went to Coeur d'Alene for the first time this past weekend. I wasn't planning on making a post about it, because it was surprisingly uneventful. That sounds bad. It was uneventful in the best way possible. I got there Saturday morning, and spent most of that first day just relaxing and staring out the window for far, far too long. Everyone around me was doing homework, but I couldn't bring myself to do anything besides sit by the windows or stand on the balconies. I wanted to surround myself with that view forever. I wanted to wrap it around me like a blanket. A blanket made of tall trees and reflective water. That sounds absolutely and completely unpleasant, but I'm not one to deny my feelings :P 

Anyways, Sunday felt the same as Saturday. More people came up to hang out and be there for a surprise ice cream party for Hannah and Rachel. Nonetheless, I was still overflowing with a sense of peace so strong it makes you sleepy and excited at the same time. I spent most of the afternoon walking along the shore and skipping rocks. It was absolutely perfect, and absolutely breathtaking. I watched the day turn from a beautifully gloomy morning, full of drizzles and swaying trees, to a hazy blue sky with the beginnings of a purple sunset. The water reflected the rainbow of colors in the sky, and the sun brought back some of the cozy warmth the rain had taken away. 

As with most of my blog posts, I don't have a point to this. This weekend just reminded me of the feelings I had in the Fall when I spent a day laying under a willow tree. There is something so magnificent about standing under trees so tall. They make you feel small and powerless. They remind you of the beauty of God's creation. Staring at these giant trees reminded me of my favorite poem written by my Grandfather.

Giant Red Woods
tower above all,
they make you feel
one foot tall. 
It seems that God
wanted to see
just how tall
He could make
a tree. 

I have never been to the Redwood National Park, but it has been on the top of my bucket list for as long as I can remember, solely because of this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment