Friday, March 2, 2018

Homeward Bound

I’ve been wanting to write a blog post for some time now, but I didn’t know what to write about. I haven’t had much time for thinking about anything besides school lately. I’m always a week behind my friends in the school calendar, so I’ve found myself scrambling to get ahead so I’m not stressing over finals during their Spring break. I want to be able to join them in their break and spend time with everyone. My mom is also coming at the end of break, so I want to have the time to devote to her.


One thing I have found myself using as a study break is music. I’m by no means a music expert, but I enjoy it. My friends finally convinced me to make a Spotify account and I really like it (despite the ads, I am not paying for it ._. and if I ever decide to go premium, someone slap me and show me this post). The main thing I like about Spotify are the playlists and the feature that allows you and your friends to follow one another’s playlists. I already had four or five playlists created before making an account, so I spent a solid hour just copying these over. 


Anyhow, I’ve been enjoying this new music platform, clearly. I think it’s obvious to just about everyone, as I’ve been annoyingly posting song lyrics on my Facebook just about every day. You see, as much as I delight in music, it’s made me incredibly homesick. About three or four years ago (maybe longer, I’m so bad with timelines) my father and I started bonding over music. We started creating playlists together, such as the perfect rainy day (which, according to him, can only have songs that clearly talk about rain, but (according to me) also have that rainy day feel) or a going home playlist (songs that talk about home, which all carry a very similar, nostalgic vibe), even a playlist with songs to whistle along to. We would fight over the aux cord every time we got into the car because we’d both have music we wanted to share with the other. Recreating these playlists on my Spotify reminded me of him. However, the worst part is when I started finding new music for these playlists and wanted to share them with him. I don’t need to download audio files anymore, so I emailed him a list of songs. But it’s not the same. 


This is one of the first times I’ve been homesick for an extended period. I’ve been feeling this way for maybe two weeks now. It’s an odd feeling that sits at the bottom of your stomach and is somehow always there, even if you’re not actively thinking about it. I’m sure most people would roll their eyes to this, but it’s odd and sad to think about the fact that I will never live with my parents again. I mean, this isn’t something I’ve been oblivious to. I knew this when I decided to move out. But it still feels strange when you think of the reality of it. It reminds you of all the little things that once added up to be a big part of your life but will be no more. Like listening to music in the car with your dad, going to your grandmas on Sunday’s to gamble, walking your dog, or going grocery shopping with your mom. 


I’m not trying to sound like a whiny child who doesn’t want to grow up. Not by any means. It’s just that you don’t always think of the reality of things, even if you make logical and progressive decisions. I knew these truths before I left, but sometimes I’m reminded of them and it feels like I’m realizing them for the first time. This brings all kinds of sentimental feelings. I’m not overly sad by these thoughts, just nostalgic. But I cannot let myself dwell in these feelings, whether they are good or bad. To dwell in such thoughts for a long period of time is dangerous because you can unintentionally convince yourself that you have lost something. Nothing has been lost, things have just come to their proper ending.



“Moats and boats and waterfalls, alleyways and pay phone calls

I been everywhere with you (that's true)

Laugh until we think we'll die, barefoot on a summer night

Never could be sweeter than with you

And in the streets you run afree, like it's only you and me

Geeze, you're something to see

~

Oh, home, let me come home

Home is whenever I'm with you

Oh, home, let me come home

Home is wherever I'm with you”

No comments:

Post a Comment